Thursday, August 7, 2008

Mamma, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys.

There's a lady I work with, whom I've worked with since I started Starbucks two and a half years ago. She'd just had a baby then, but I never really got a chance to know her.
She mentioned some tough family issues the other day, specifically with her husband, but I didn't ask. I didn't want to pry, and figured in time I'd find out if I was supposed to.
Well today she told me about maybe quitting Starbucks (she's been working there 7 years) and starting a business with her two brothers. She told me it's because she wants something to give to her daughter something more than 'My mom works at Starbucks' once she gets older.
A little later she told me about how she's started feeding her daughter soy milk, and just being more careful in general with what she gives her daughter. She doesn't want her to be made fun of when she gets to school for being overweight.
I know these things are what mothers are supposed to do for their children, but I was touched by my co-worker's devotion to her daughter. It wasn't just basic motherly instinct; it was conscious love. She keeps talking about that in spite of her divorce, she's got her daughter and that's all she needs. This woman, usually so quiet, is actually an incredibly strong woman who sounds like one of the world's better mothers.
How amazing it is to discover people! I've always liked her, but I have so much more admiration for her now that I know a little of her situation and her strong character in the midst of it. It's actually - get ready for the cheese - a bit inspiring.

No comments: