Monday, September 20, 2010

I Got a Fever...and the only Prescription is...

...a wedding? After a wonderfully terrible (or is it terribly wonderful?) time in Oregon/Washington for a friend's wedding, you'd think I would be repulsed by anything remotely related to flowers, dresses, and googly eyes. But my previous love for weddings is just ten times more intense now. And I think, really, that it's because I truly and honestly want to get married myself.

Four years ago I was convinced I would never get married. There had been no example of a relationship I felt fit me and what I wanted. The sort of life I thought I would lead was not conducive to a marriage. And no one had ever been interested in me. So much has changed in the past year! Now, I'm a sappy teary-eyed girl who can't wait to plan her own wedding. I've helped coordinate three weddings before and loved it. The idea of planning my own is exciting, and not just because I love weddings. It's because I would actually get to marry someone I love.

I've always had wedding fevor...doesn't every girl plan it from the time they can twirl around in a dress and watch a princess get married on a movie? Once my friends started getting married I began to look up color schemes, flowers, cakes, bridesmaid dresses, table dressings, decorations...everything. I have a million different ideas for weddings. I can't wait to be engaged and start planning my own...finally!!

Here's the catch: We're not ready. We don't even live on our own yet. We're working stepping-stone jobs, as much as I love mine. We've only been together for a year. He hasn't met most of my family. Neither of us nor our parents can even afford a wedding outside the courthouse right now.

It's hard to be smart when you're head over heels and overflowing with emotion. Though a lot of my friends got married after a year and even less than a year, and so young, we've both decided that's just too soon for us. We're both people who never thought we'd get married so it's going to take time to get used to that idea. The only plan for the future right now is to save money and get our own place, and for me to go back to school.

Luckily we balance each other out enough to make smart choices. And when the time comes to get married and plan a wedding, it'll be right and enjoyable and stressful and...everything it's supposed to be!!

No comments: