Thursday, June 4, 2009

In Your Veins

Though I believe firmly in the uniqueness of the singular individual, I believe there are certain things that will always be a part of us, and quite possibly in cherished and nostalgic ways.

For example, I have spent the majority of my life as the bookworm of my family. Though both of my parents are brilliant, I am the one who would rather have been in school than anywhere else (besides maybe Disneyland), who spent all my time reading, and who pursued a higher education. Neither of my parents were particular shy or as awkward as I was (or at least as I felt I was). My brother is more like both of my parents than I am.

But there are certain things about my family and growing up that, though may not be a main part of me, will be a part of me nonetheless. For example, most people would never guess that I grew up on the outskirts of the entertainment industry. Music and acting have always been in my life; my parents met on Hollywood Boulevard and played small parts in movies until my dad's death. My mom also taught herself to play trumpet, piano, and guitar. A lot of my young childhood was spent watching my mom "jam" with friends. She sang to us all the time so it was only natural that I sang and wrote songs just like her.

Both of my parents and my older brother in my adoptive family have worked or currently work in the movie industry. My parents sang in bands their whole lives, and to this day my dad acts in small bits in movies. I spent a lot of time in junior high and high school visiting Hollywood, Beverley Hills, and various movie lots (mostly Disney, where my parents still had friends). Even now, my dad is reviewing scripts of friends and calling up old buddies from the industry to get certain movies started. My brother'll have a beer with Ashton Kutcher or pass Shia LeBeouf on the lot every once in a while.

It felt, as a kid, like a very glamorous life--getting to see movie stars, being in recording studios, talking about big dreams for the future. But it was also just a part of my own very real life. I sort of always assumed I would end up in the movie industry somehow; I never could act so I thought perhaps through writing or producing. As I got older, though, I came to realize the seemingly thousands of loves I had--including literature, writing poetry, academia in general, and working with people at ground level. These are not things that either sets of my parents pursued, though all four of them would have been brilliant at them had they tried.

I think it would be fun someday to move back down to L.A. and work on the outskirts of Hollywood--once I'm done playing the Superhero Genius. Though the rest of the world views that world as unreal and full of fake people, I've seen the other side of it and know that folks just like me are in the industry, too. It is something that--though the rest of me may be so incredibly different from it--runs in my veins, passed down from generation to generation.

1 comment:

Mark R. Luke said...

Hi Janelle,

I hope this e-mail finds you well. I read your entire blog and some of the older blog. It appears to me that you are meant to be a writer/author. You should work on writing a screenplay with a “high-concept” idea. I have a good one for you; one that would focus your “emotional intelligence” in a direction that Frank Marshal and Kathleen Kennedy (I) would be interested in!

I just happen to know someone locally (Redding) that is very good and longtime friends with them. When they were up here the year before last out on a houseboat at Shasta Lake, Frank Marshall asked Louis if he knew of anyone with a good book or screenplay they might be interested in.

I would be willing to work with you – just you, and I -- on collaboration on developing the premise of the screenplay, I call: “Teaser.” It’s right up your anthropological alley! Trust me, you will love it.

We could work together over the computer with the ideas needed to stay focused on the “High Concept.” This will give you an opportunity to make a great deal of money. That is, providing we can hammer out a screenplay worthy of Frank Marshal and Kathlene Kennedy’s attention. Since I can get their undivided attention through Louis, who can pick up the phone and talk to them almost immediately.

Thank about it: I have the screenplay high-concept and the buyers whom are the biggest movie producers in the industry. We can probable get 1.5 million for the screenplay. This is no joke! I’m very creative; I have a condition called Low Level Latent Inhibition, which makes me very creative. I suspect you have the same form of creativity.

Plus, I have a way to reduce your physiological and psychological depression that you won’t believe how easy it is without any side effects. Let talk. Get back in touch with me and we’ll reason out the need for both of us to become successful at this venture.

Sincerely,
Mark R. Luke
Markrluke59@yahoo.com
http://theultimateinsight2.blogspot.com/