1 John is famous for being all about Christian love. I picked up my Bible this morning and started reading where I'd left off---and felt convicted immediately. Here's the verse that got me:
"For this is the message that you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another."
I preach this all the time, so at first it doesn't make sense that I'd feel convicted. In truth, love is a very hard thing. It is not as clear and simple as it sounds, even in Scripture. Love is always always always a sacrifice, and hardly ever easy. It means having a kind word for someone who gets on my nerves, even someone I don't like and don't want around. It means recognizing what other people need, even if it tramples on what I need. It means being patient when someone else doesn't get something that I think is obvious.
Being in a relationship is a whole different ball game of love than having friends and family. Bobbie does a great job of loving me, but I'm not so sure I am always the same for him. I have much love for my clients, but not necessarily my coworkers. And my new family is full of love, but I have a hard time loving certain individuals in it. These are all things I'm coming to realize about myself because I've been forced to examine the most important love relationship in my life, Bobbie.
Here's another verse that got me as well:
"By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers. But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him?"
There are instances in the past year where I have lent money or just given it to make sure my friends and family are taken care of. But I don't do that on a consistent basis. Part of the reason is that I can barely take care of myself, but these two verses don't specify whether or not we are comfortable. It says if we have what someone else needs, we're to give it. Love is shown in the little things we do, not just the huge sacrifices we make. This is a part of what makes love a little more complicated than I thought. Because let's face it: it's easier for me to close off the world and lose myself in my writing and books and music. It's harder to open the door to my room and make conversation, to help my coworkers when they're struggling, to not demand every second of Bobbie's time.
But if I'm going to preach so strongly that love is what Christ commands of us, then I will love no matter the cost.
No comments:
Post a Comment